- The PowerPoint begins with a starter using the Mi Gente song. I just wanted to make sure they know the word “gente” and hoped Beyoncé would be better at getting them to remember this than me.
- The photo of El Corte Inglés is part of my routine to get them to describe pictures.
- They know PUEDO, so I’m introducing SUELO. I’m making sure they know the main high frequency verbs like QUIERO, PUEDO, DEBO, DOY, etc. They saw SUELO last lesson, so is a recap.
- Question slide – ¿Dónde sueles comprar? + ¿Por qué? We worked through this bit by bit to make sure they understood everything.
- I then read out three sentences in English which they had to translate into Spanish using the previous slide e.g. I usually shop on the internet because there are more discounts.
- We then went through all the reasons why you might shop in a department store or online + decided which they best described.
- Worksheet. Match the Spanish to the English + then translation of the phrases.
- Reading worksheet. There are three versions of this as my bottom set group is really mixed in terms of ability.
- Written task. Styled along the lines of the AQA Foundation Paper 90 word task which my group is getting used to.
- Past paper reading exam question. I used the slide to explain the issue of whether online shopping is harming the high street + then they did the reading task.
The homework task is a translation based on language from this and previous lessons. I’ve been teaching them “Diría que” as an alternative to “Creo que ../ Pienso que …”.
RESOURCES: De compras TRANSLATION GCSE into ENGLISH foundation ONLINE SHOPPING TRANSLATION EXERCISE linked to PPT ENTREVISTAS Cómo prefieres comprar ENTREVISTAS Cómo prefieres comprar SEN VERSION ENTREVISTAS Cómo prefieres comprar HIGHER VERSION